2020 LaSTEM Annual Summit
The 2020 3rd Annual LaSTEM Statewide Summit was held on Wednesday, October 28, 2020, and Thursday, October 29, 2020, in its first-ever virtual convening. The 3rd Annual Statewide Summit had three objectives:
- To showcase some of the most effective, resourceful, and impactful STEM activities and programs in Louisiana.
- To host informative and engaging breakout sessions for educators, administrators, legislators, and leaders from PreK-Postsecondary education regarding school and industry partnerships, innovative STEM programs and pathways, and success stories of existing STEM efforts in Louisiana and throughout the United States.
- To allow participants opportunities to discuss regional needs, become informed of the purpose for Regional STEM Network Centers in Louisiana, and how to become involved.
2020 Summit Breakout Session Presentations
Breakout Session I
- Integrating STEM into PreK-16
Breakout Session II
- Workforce Partnerships
Breakout Session III
- Afterschool STEM and Community Programs
Breakout Session IV
- Innovative STEM Pathways Connecting PreK-16 and the Workforce
2019 LaSTEM Annual Summit
The 2019 LaSTEM Annual Summit was held on November 7, 2019, at the Raising Cane’s River Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The purpose of this event was to showcase many of the dynamic Science, Technology, Engineering and Math programs Louisiana has to offer and the talented individuals who are invested in this work.
A total of 500 stakeholders across Louisiana registered for this year’s event. Commissioner Kim Hunter-Reed delivered opening comments along with District 1 Senator Sharon Hewitt, Deputy Secretary Brad Lambert for Louisiana Economic Development, and Baton Rouge’s Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome. Three successful breakouts covering fifteen different sessions took place before lunch focusing on STEM outreach, STEM strategies and curriculum, STEM ecosystems, STEM school and industry partnerships, and STEM impact. Dr. Jeff Weld, the Executive Director for the Iowa Governor’s STEM Advisory Council, delivered the keynote speech on the topic of implementing a statewide STEM network to optimize communication, resources, and support for STEM efforts in the state of Iowa. Regional breakout sessions were held to discuss the statewide model followed by a Q&A with Dr. Jeff Weld and closing comments.
Many organizations such as Boeing, Dow, Vex Robotics, Baton Rouge Mayor’s Office, First Robotics, Project Lead the Way, NASA, AT&T, Sivad, Girls Who Code, and the Cyber Innovation Center were among many who sponsored and/or attended the summit. The success of this year’s event would not have been possible without the help and support of the volunteers, especially the Louisiana Board of Regents staff. This group of people demonstrated tremendous professionalism and hospitality. In fact, this was clear by the results of the survey given to attendees after the summit. These results indicated 99% of attendees felt the volunteers and staff were very friendly or extremely friendly (78% extremely friendly). Kudos to all who helped and supported the successful Second 2019 LaSTEM Annual Summit.
2019 LaSTEM Annual Summit Video Recordings